Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Sundae Driver

This idea came to me quite easily and quickly, while I was sitting at the convention table during Wondercon 2016.  I was trying to come up with more ideas for pun related illustrations, and this one jumped out at me.  Living in a metropolitan area with quite possibly the worst traffic in the United States, driving has been, and always will be, the bane of my existence.  While there are many terms and phrases associated with motorists, the one that I find the most humorous, is that of the "Sunday driver".  I decided I could use this term and with a simple homophone, 'Sundae Driver' was born...besides...who doesn't like ice cream, or sundaes for that matter?

The execution simply involved me taking the concept a fleshing it out a bit more, and deciding a color palette that would accentuate the initial sketch.  I selection a traditional color scheme, and went with strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla.  I got a weird 'Washington Crossing the Delaware' vibe from the sketch, and made the whipped cream into a sort of powdered wig for the banana. I topped the image with a 'wild' cherry who is just along for the ride.  I also attempted to give each rider a different expression or personality to offer something to the narrative of the illustration.
It is entirely digital, made in Illustrator, Painter, and Photoshop.

The image is also available at my etsy store as a Print or Tote Bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment