Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Grahze


This illustration was commissioned by author Catherine Cruzan, and depicts a character from her fantasy novel ‘Elfkind’.
I was given literature by the author containing details on the description of this creature, and based the image itself primarily on that information along with my own expertise in this genre.
The description reminded me of a wraith-like being, or vampiric lich.
Stylistically, I wanted it to be reminiscent of the old Dungeons and Dragons illustrations from the manuals of yore..
I wanted to keep the image sketchy, and loose, as a lot of my sketches read well, and contain more movement, than when I clean them up.
I envisioned the creature as frail, and almost undead like, with a gaunt frame.  I clothed it in tattered robes that curled like tendrils at the bottom, that blended away into the misty ground, obscuring any trace of it’s form.
I also wanted to keep the image very limited in color, with the exception of the creature’s eyes and the gem that hangs from it’s neck.

The image is entirely digital done primarily in Procreate, with some adjustments made in Photoshop.

IG: stiles1978
Tumblr: stiles1978
Twitter: paragonofpuns


No comments:

Post a Comment