Sunday, March 15, 2020

Collective Arts Brewing (Winter 2020)



These images were created as a design submission for Collective Arts Brewing’s, Winter 2020 Call for Artists.
The company takes submissions for their labels, and awards the winning artist a $250 payment, along with using the artwork for an upcoming label on their line of brews.
I had two ideas in mind, neither of which I wanted to spend too much time on, seeing as it was another contest, and I also had deadlines for other projects.  Initially it was just supposed to be for fun, but my creative endeavors took over, and I became consumed with finishing at least two images to submit.

Honeycomb Circuit

The first image I designed came to me while I was sketching on my iPad, doing some exercises I had acquired from a friend via twitter.
The character I was drawing for said exercise was bee themed, and it sparked a great design concept for framing the image later with a honeycomb pattern.
I then decided that I could also use the same pattern for a beer label design.
I set to work, and decided that I wanted to cross nature with technology, creating a surreal aspect.
I decided to add circuitry to the darker portions of the honeycomb to contrast with the already pseudo scientific pattern of the honeycomb itself.
I made quite a few adjustments to this image, and after several revisions, I managed to finish it time to submit.

 
 
Space Drip

The second image actually only took me a few hours.
I had already done a similar illustration so I knew how to tackle this one immediately.
I wanted to create the illusion of dripping paint, and inside the paint itself to depict a celestial cosmos.
The trickiest part was including the shadows at the base of the paint that was dripping, in order to steal create the illusion, but offer a stronger depth perception to the overall image.
After playing with the colors a bit, I was satisfied with my choices, I submitted it along with the aforementioned image of the Honeycomb.



Both images are entirely digital, and both were created in Procreate.
The honeycomb image had it’s pattern, and layout developed in illustrator, manipulated in Photoshop, and then transferred over to Procreate to finish the detail work.


No comments:

Post a Comment