Thursday, June 12, 2014

Icarus

IF (Illustration Friday) 6/ 6/14, the topic was Contraption.  This topic was initially a struggle for me, as I had a hard time coming up with a satisfactory subject matter that reflected the topic.  After some brainstorming I came up with an idea that fit my taste/style, and represented a 'contraption'.  For this topic I decided to draw upon one of my main inspirations (Greek Mythology), and illustrate the tragic literary figure of Icarus, son of the great Greek inventor Daedalus.  In the Greek Myth, Icarus and his father attempt to flee a prison island by using wings that Daedalus has created from feathers and wax.  Daedalus warns Icarus not to fly too close to the son, or the sea, for fear his prideful son will damage the delicate wings and perish.  In this illustration I have depicted Icarus before he takes flight.  I had a lot of fun with this particular piece, and I really like the style, and striking contrast I was able to achieve.  There are parts of the work, I would have liked to develop more, or make feel less static; however, I felt it was time to stop tinkering with it, and let it be.  The piece is entirely digital, done in Painter.


No comments:

Post a Comment